​Sierra Freepackers P.O.Box 64 Oakhurst, Ca. 93644

Content copyright © 2016. sierra freepackers. All rights reserved.

SIERRA FREEPACKERS UNIT

BACKCOUNTRY HORSEMEN OF CALIFORNIA 

                         SIERRA FREEPACKERS MEETING MINUTES  
                                             May 23, 2017


Meeting called to order by President Cathy Miller at 6:35 p.m. in the Oakhurst Library.


Additions: Cathy had two items to add: Grant at Granite Creek and Mariposa Mountain Riders
request. Both items to be discussed later in meeting.
Introductions of new members and guests present; including Corrie, representing the National
Forest.


Minutes: Motion to approve April minutes as presented made by Denise; seconded by John.
Minutes approved.


Treasurer’s Report: Laurie reported an increase to the balance due to one new membership,
two membership renewals and income from the BCHA grant.


Membership: Laurie reported two members renewed and one new membership.


Education: Denise had a great idea while out shopping one day at Sportsman’s Warehouse
(having noted they had photos of packing but offered no equipment for sale). She proposed
to the unit that we, up to our neck in Wilderness Riders dreaming of opportunities to educate,
make an offer to the store to do a presentation for the store and others like it. The members
present thought it was a great idea. Denise to work on an outline for the proposal. Mary
offered to assist with that presentation as well as any at the Acorn Center (AHRP).


Monthly Ride: No monthly rides have been planned.
Public Lands: Jay asked what the unit was doing regarding the bills presented at previous
meetings; if we were going to be proactive or just float along. Mary responded by saying that
as issues come up we can decide as a group if we want to respond; as always responding
within the scope of the group’s mission: Trail preservation and education.


Old Business:
1. Earth Day, North Fork: Denise reported approximately 30 people visited her booth and
overall it was a good day. She also got a line on a possible guest speaker, willing to come
and talk all things trout with us. If we want, she can proceed with reeling him in.
2. Coarsegold Rodeo/Gold Rush Days: About 400 kids enjoyed our livestock at the CR, and
there were lots of opportunities for discussion. The kids were good and respectful of the
animals. GRD demo saw about 150 kids, and about all 150 of them took a ride on Patricia’s
pony. Both events were great opportunities for kids. Thanks to those that volunteered for
these events!
3. Sierra Nevada Forest Volunteer Awards: Corrie brought interagency passes for those
members that had accrued enough hours to earn them. At the awards, Robbie was honored
with an Enduring Service Award and the Sierra Freepackers earned a Gold Award. We may
be small but we are mighty! Special congratulations for Robbie; well deserved!!!
4. Ahwahnee Park Oak Acorn Center: Cathy met with Vern on May 16 to scope out the center
and figure out what type of display we would do. It looks like a nice poster of what we do
will best suit their needs. Mary suggested using the $100 from a previous donation to help
cover the cost of the poster. Lots of ideas were discussed; Mary asked Linda to start
designing our display poster (LNT and Education themes); Cathy to send and email to Linda
with the information.
5. Montana de Oro Camping Trip: Mary has the flyer completed and will send it out after the
work at Fish Camp; space constraints will limit attendees to 20 rigs.


New Business:
1. Volunteer Agreement: Cathy and Corrie reviewed the agreement which is the same as last
year; Cathy got it signed. Job Hazard Analysis’ (JHA’s) will be reviewed and followed prior
to each work party. Keep talking about safety; keep thinking about safety.
2. Snow Play Camp Out: Tentative dates 6/2-6/4 with a plan of Saturday clean up followed by
a nice ride; group dinner Saturday night. Mary to send out another email.
3. Logger’s Jamboree Parade: Denise has to confirm the date; possibly July 1 for this event.
Ideas discussed for matching long sleeved shirts and getting them in time for the parade.
Laurie knows someone (John’s sawing friend next door?) she can get an estimate and time
frame from and will have that information at the next meeting.
4. Granite Creek: Work party dates: July 9-14 for tie rail installation. John to order tie rails
and have them delivered to Laurie’s perennial flower garden (ok, wait, that’s probably not
right but somewhere at El Rancho Daisy). The corrals at Granite Creek will need to be set
up; Denise to work with Debbie and let us know when we will be needed for that.
5. Grant: The BCHA grant for $500 that Mary acquired for us will be only part of the funds
required for the work needed at Granite Creek. Gloria and Joyce have been working on an
additional grant for the other approximate $3000 we need. They are working hard at
getting the paperwork submitted correctly and on time. They will follow up next meeting.
If we are not successful getting the second grant, we will need to decide what to do up at
Granite Creek.
6. French Trail: Patricia reported on the state of the trail and said there were about 4-5 trees
to remove; as well as some work at the water crossing and even more work on the white
thorn. Tentative dates for this work party were decided on as Friday June 2; meet at the
turnout at 9:30 or 8:30 at Von’s.


General Discussion/Announcements:
1. The Mariposa Mountain Riders called Mary to see if we can help them on trails. They said
if we came out to help with leading trail rides, they will give us a free membership.
The next meeting will be Tuesday June 20, 2017 at 6:30 p.m, here at the Oakhurst Library.
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m; motioned by Robbie, seconded by Mary.


Respectfully submitted,
Sharon Seslowe