SIERRA FREEPACKERS MEETING MINUTES  
                                             May 23, 2017


Meeting called to order by President Cathy Miller at 6:35 p.m. in the Oakhurst Library.


Additions: Cathy had two items to add: Grant at Granite Creek and Mariposa Mountain Riders request. Both items to be discussed later in meeting. introductions of new members and guests present; including Corrie, representing the National  Forest.


Minutes: Motion to approve April minutes as presented made by Denise; seconded by John.
Minutes approved.


Treasurer’s Report: Laurie reported an increase to the balance due to one new membership, two membership renewals and income from the BCHA grant.


Membership: Laurie reported two members renewed and one new membership.


Education: Denise had a great idea while out shopping one day at Sportsman’s Warehouse  (having noted they had photos of packing but offered no equipment for sale). She proposed to the unit that we, up to our neck in Wilderness Riders dreaming of opportunities to educate, make an offer to the store to do a presentation for the store and others like it. The members present thought it was a great idea. Denise to work on an outline for the proposal. Mary offered to assist with that presentation as well as any at the Acorn Center (AHRP). 


Monthly Ride: No monthly rides have been planned.


Public Lands: Jay asked what the unit was doing regarding the bills presented at previous meetings; if we were going to be proactive or just float along. Mary responded by saying that as issues come up we can decide as a group if we want to respond; as always responding 
within the scope of the group’s mission: Trail preservation and education.


Old Business:
1. Earth Day, North Fork: Denise reported approximately 30 people visited her booth and overall it was a good day. She also got a line on a possible guest speaker, willing to come and talk all things trout with us. If we want, she can proceed with reeling him in. 
2. Coarsegold Rodeo/Gold Rush Days: About 400 kids enjoyed our livestock at the CR, and there were lots of opportunities for discussion. The kids were good and respectful of the animals. GRD demo saw about 150 kids, and about all 150 of them took a ride on Patricia’spony. Both events were great opportunities for kids. Thanks to those that volunteered for these events!
3. Sierra Nevada Forest Volunteer Awards: Corrie brought interagency passes for those members that had accrued enough hours to earn them. At the awards, Robbie was honored with an Enduring Service Award and the Sierra Freepackers earned a Gold Award. We may be small but we are mighty! Special congratulations for Robby; well deserved!!!
4. Ahwahnee Park Oak Acorn Center: Cathy met with Vern on May 16 to scope out the center and figure out what type of display we would do. It looks like a nice poster of what we do will best suit their needs. Mary suggested using the $100 from a previous donation to help 
cover the cost of the poster. Lots of ideas were discussed; Mary asked Linda to start designing our display poster (LNT and Education themes); Cathy to send and email to Linda with the information.
5. Montana de Oro Camping Trip: Mary has the flyer completed and will send it out after the work at Fish Camp; space constraints will limit attendees to 20 rigs.


New Business:
1. Volunteer Agreement: Cathy and Corrie reviewed the agreement which is the same as last year; Cathy got it signed. Job Hazard Analysis’ (JHA’s) will be reviewed and followed prior to each work party. Keep talking about safety; keep thinking about safety.
2. Snow Play Camp Out: Tentative dates 6/2-6/4 with a plan of Saturday clean up followed by a nice ride; group dinner Saturday night. Mary to send out another email.
3. Logger’s Jamboree Parade: Denise has to confirm the date; possibly July 1 for this event. Ideas discussed for matching long sleeved shirts and getting them in time for the parade.  Laurie knows someone (John’s sawing friend next door?) she can get an estimate and time frame from and will have that information at the next meeting.
4. Granite Creek: Work party dates: July 9-14 for tie rail installation. John to order tie rails and have them delivered to Laurie’s perennial flower garden (ok, wait, that’s probably not right but somewhere at El Rancho Daisy). The corrals at Granite Creek will need to be set 
up; Denise to work with Debbie and let us know when we will be needed for that.
5. Grant: The BCHA grant for $500 that Mary acquired for us will be only part of the funds required for the work needed at Granite Creek. Gloria and Joyce have been working on an additional grant for the other approximate $3000 we need. They are working hard at getting the paperwork submitted correctly and on time. They will follow up next meeting.  If we are not successful getting the second grant, we will need to decide what to do up at Granite Creek.
6. French Trail: Patricia reported on the state of the trail and said there were about 4-5 trees to remove; as well as some work at the water crossing and even more work on the white thorn. Tentative dates for this work party were decided on as Friday June 2; meet at the turnout at 9:30 or 8:30 at Von’s.


General Discussion/Announcements:
1. The Mariposa Mountain Riders called Mary to see if we can help them on trails. They said if we came out to help with leading trail rides, they will give us a free membership. 


The next meeting will be Tuesday June 20, 2017 at 6:30 p.m, here at the Oakhurst Library. 
Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m; motioned by Robby seconded by Mary.


Respectfully submitted,
                                  Sharon Seslowe                                     

​​​​     SIERRA FREEPACKERS MEETING MINUTES  

August , 2017


Meeting called to order by President Cathy Miller at 6:30 p.m. in the Oakhurst Library.  Mary had three additions for the agenda:  2018 Rendezvous, Website, and Grant.

 Minutes:  Motion to approve July minutes as presented made by Terry; seconded by John.  Minutes approved.

 Treasurer’s Report: Laurie reported an increase to the balance even with checks paid out due to  MDO payments, membership renewals, and Granite Creek food reimbursements.

 Membership: Laurie reported one member renewed and two more new memberships.

 Education:  Denise reported on and reminded members that toilet paper and it’s stuff are not to be tolerated or left behind in the wilderness.  It’s a big problem in Granite Creek this year.

 Public Lands: Nothing to report; Jay absent.

 Old Business:

1.Montana De Oro:  Those that attended reported a fine time was had by all.  Delicious food and excellent company.  13 members participated; no accidents or wrecks.  Nice outing.
2.Scavenger Hunt Ride:  Scheduled for October 7 as a fund raiser for the group.  location either Fish Camp or Hensley.  Cathy to contact relevant people to see about location requirements (permits and such).  Group also considering YLP as a location for event.
3.Heritage Day Parade:  Scheduled for September 16 in Oakhurst.  Uniform will be burgundy bandana over a white long sleeved shirt, blue jeans and boots.  Chaps/chinks optional.  Discussed, motion made and approved  for matching saddle blankets; group to purchase blankets but individuals purchase bandanas.  Discussed staging at end of parade route then ride to parade start.  Cathy is contact person; watch for emails updating events.

 New Business

1.Volunteer hours:  After reminding members to submit all hours, Mary noted reporting hours (miles) to the state may have been done incorrectly in the past; she corrected prior  miles and will clarify at the next state meeting if it’s now being done correctly.  Happy to report YTD hour value for work done:  $23,417.00  What a great group of hard working peeps!
2.New Safety Protocol:  Cathy reported on the new safety protocol which is required to be followed prior to every ride and/or event; and which was well discussed in the last State Newsletter.  NSP requires lots of forms; Cathy has tracked down just about all but one. New requirements discussed by members and ideas for how to comply.  John passed around a nice item used for “personal emergency information” (medical info).  Laurie has experience in knowing what kind of info is required on this form and will work up a sample form we can all use.
3.Pump Maintenance:  Kelty meadow pump maintenance discussed and plans for replacement prior to next spring.
4.Labor Day Ride:  Cathy would like to plan a Labor Day ride; possibly out of Snow Play; and will follow it up with emails.

5. Addition:  Mary reported the 2018 Rendezvous in Red Bluff has been cancelled.  The next Rendezvous will be in Norco in 2019.  Individual units will be responsible for fundraising on their own.

6. Addition:  Website:  Robby has been doing an awesome job keeping the website looking good; space is an issue.  We either need to cut down on photos or minutes.  Conflict is grant people like to      se photos; minutes need to be posted. 
7. Addition:  Grant:  Mary found a grant opportunity on the AQHA site, “Step Up Grant”, which will be available August of 2018.  There are lots of requirements but looks like a good fit for the unit.

 General Discussion/Announcements:

 The group discussed options for work at Granite Creek next year;  consensus is to clean up the  Mammoth Trail.

 The next meeting will be Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 6:30 p.m, at the Oakhurst Library.

 Meeting adjourned at 8:05 p.m; motioned by John, seconded by Terry.

                                   respectfully  submitted,

                                          Sharon Seslowe

************************************************************************************

BACKCOUNTRY HORSEMEN OF CALIFORNIA 

​Sierra Freepackers P.O.Box 64 Oakhurst, Ca. 93644

Content copyright © 2016. sierra freepackers. All rights reserved.

SIERRA FREEPACKERS UNIT